About Technology

update technology ,more fast more smart...


by: Chris Bryant CCIE 12933

Before we start, I should say up front that I absolutely love technology, particularly the Internet. The ‘Net has made it possible for me to make a good living while working from home doing what I love, and it doesn’t get any better than that.

Having said that, a recent article in the Wall Street Journal really made me wonder if we’re ready for the next step – our cars as WiFi hot spots. Roger Cheng’s September 4 article mentions that Avis Car Rental is already putting a WiFi box into their cars (at an additional charge of $10.95 per day). These boxes are created by Autonet Mobile Inc., and they hope to offer the WiFi box as an option in new cars as well.

Having our cars serve as WiFi hot spots is the next logical step in keeping us connected to the Net while we travel, since Amtrak is working to offer internet access to passengers, and American Airlines is planning to offer WiFi access to passengers in 2008. There’s a key difference to offering WiFi access to me while I’m on a plane or train as opposed to a car – I’m (hopefully) not driving while I’m on Amtrak or American Airlines!

I’m not going to get into a discussion of whether cell phone usage when driving is dangerous. I do think we can all agree that surfing the Net while driving is not the best idea, though. We’ve got drivers texting and talking while driving now – hopefully they’ll be able to resist the temptation to surf while they’re driving, but somehow I doubt it.

Again, I’m not against technology or immediate Web access; on the contrary, I like the idea! Claudia Goldsmith of Nokia was quoted in the article as saying that a car could potentially keep a Net connection at 70 MPH. Let’s hope it’s the passenger working on that connection, and not the driver!

Chris Bryant, CCIE #12933, is the owner of The Bryant Advantage, home of free Cisco CCNP Exam and Cisco CCNA Certification tutorials, The Ultimate CCNA Study Package, and Ultimate CCNP Study Packages.

You can also visit his blog, which is updated several times daily with new Cisco certification articles, free tutorials, and daily CCNA / CCNP exam questions!

For a FREE copy of his latest e-books, “How To Pass The CCNA" and “How To Pass The CCNP", just visit the website! You can also get FREE CCNA and CCNP exam questions every day!

Take the exclusive CCNA Online Mastermind Boot Camp with The Bryant Advantage!

source:searchwarp.com

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by Hoctro | Jack Book
  1. 0 ความคิดเห็น: Responses to “ Should Cars Also Be Wi-Fi Hot Spots? ”